Autumn Safety Tips for Dogs and Cats

Autumn Safety Tips for Dogs and Cats

October is here—that means autumn has arrived! Your pet is probably looking forward to the cooler temperatures as much as you are, but make sure he or she stays safe this season. Here, your Sayville, NY tells you about a few fall-time hazards to be aware of.

School Supplies

Do you have young children who have gone back to school recently? Be careful not to leave school supplies like crayons, markers, glue, pencils, or scissors lying around where pets could access them. Not only do these items present a choking hazard, some of them could potentially poison a pet who swallows them. Plus, scissors could cut a pet who decides to play with them.


With the temperatures outside dropping, field rodents and pesky insects like to invade our homes to seek warmth. If you combat the problem with pesticides or rodenticides, use caution; after all, such products can prove toxic to our house pets just as easily as the pests they’re made to kill. Place pesticides where pets can’t reach, and ask your veterinarian about non-toxic options to be safe.

Portable Heaters

Do you set up portable heating devices around your home to ward off the chill? Keep a close eye on your animal companion to make sure he or she doesn’t lie too close to these items. Every year, pets are burnt when they accidentally touch heaters, singing their fur and possibly searing their skin.

Wild Critters

Snakes are a particular danger this time of year, because they’re preparing to hibernate for the winter and are especially grumpy. When outdoors, don’t let your pet explore areas of dense shrubbery alone, as they’re at a heightened risk for being bitten by a snake. Ask your vet what sorts of snakes—venomous and non-venomous—are common in your area.

Other wild animals like raccoons and opossums are also active in the fall. These creatures can injure your pet or transmit disease to them if they come into physical contact, so monitor your pet closely while outdoors.


As winter approaches, some car owners may start adding antifreeze to their engines. Antifreeze contains a deadly alcohol called ethylene glycol, which is extremely toxic to pets. Even worse, it has a sweet taste and smell that may attract pets. Store antifreeze carefully, and clean up spills right away.

Call your Sayville, NY animal hospital for more advice on autumn pet safety.

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login